Monday, March 28, 2011

Southern Style Cornbread





Growing up in the Midwest, cornbread was baked in an 8x8in baking pan and was moist, sweet and cake like.  We ate it with syrup or molasses, and sometimes we even baked hot dogs in it!  But when I married a southern boy, I learned that cornbread is a whole 'nother thing down there!  In the South, cornbread is often baked in an iron skillet, doesn't have any sugar in it, and is a bit drier and coarser than the Midwest variety.  Since I married a Southerner, I had to learn to make it 'right'. :)  But over time I have learned to love this Southern staple.  Although I do add some sugar to mine... just don't tell anybody. ;)




First, pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into a large cast iron skillet.  Put the skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°.  By the time the oven is preheated, your pan will be nice and hot!  Meanwhile, mix together the dry ingredients.  You can tell how much I use this recipe, I think it is the most stained one I have. :P



Add the wet ingredients and stir until evenly moistened.  Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into it.  The skillet should be hot enough to sizzle and start cooking the edges.




Put it back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.  The cornbread should come out golden brown and slightly crunchy/crsipy on the outside and soft on the inside.




Serve hot with your choice of toppings.  I love to eat it with butter and honey.  It's also a great side to a pot of beans!  Don't worry, the picture below isn't a mold science experiment, I made a batch with blue cornmeal! :)





Southern Style Cornbread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 egg

Pour a couple tablespoons of oil into a large cast iron skillet.  Place in the oven and preheat oven to 375°.  Meanwhile, mix together the dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and stir until evenly moistened.  When the oven is preheated, remove the skillet and pour the batter into it.  Put it back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve hot.  Enjoy!

This recipe is entered in the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange at Little House on the Prairie Living.  http://www.littlehouseliving.com/2011/03/old-fashioned-recipe-exchange-329.html

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange! Make sure you link up another great recipe next Tuesday!
    http://www.littlehouseliving.com/2011/03/old-fashioned-recipe-exchange-329.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE ONE WITH BLUE CORNMEAL, IS IT THE SAME RECIPE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is the same recipe. I actually used half (3/4 cup) blue cornmeal and half (3/4 cup)yellow cornmeal for that batch! It makes people look twice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just thought I would stop by. I love Midwestern cornbread, but there is something to be said for the way southerners make it too! I agree with a bit of sugar ;) Love your gardening post too. Man you have a lot of stuff in your garden! How many years have you had a garden?

    - Jana from HB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jana! I love the cornbread both ways too! :) About the garden, this is the third year we have had one...the second year in this place. But my dad and mom gardened all the years I was growing up, so I learned alot from them! I am working on another post right now that explains the watering system a bit more, so check back later to see it!

    ReplyDelete