Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Moroccan Sweet Potato Pitas


When I was thinking of another recipe I could make for the Sweet Potato recipe contest, I had the idea to make these Moroccan Sweet Potato Pitas.  In fact, the idea came to me right about bedtime and it kept me up half the night thinking about it!  I'm a little weird like that...my mind is constantly thinking how to make or improve a recipe! :)  I had a recipe for Moroccan Chicken, and I thought those spices would go excellent with sweet potatoes!  I was right!  These pitas are delicious and filling and make a great meal all by themselves!




Moroccan Sweet Potato Pitas

3 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pita bread

In a large frying pan or wok, sauté sweet potatoes in oil until tender on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside.  In a separate saucepan, mix together remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes.  When the sweet potatoes are tender, pour the sauce over them and stir to coat.  Serve warm in pita bread.


I know I'm mixing cuisines here, but I ate mine with hummus and thought it was great!  My husband teases me for closing each blog post with "Enjoy!" but that's what food is for, right? :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment