Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Savory Chicken Stew With Biscuits





Howdy everybody!  I hope you are all staying warm as this winter weather hits our country!  Here is a "comfort food" recipe to warm you up!  I created this thick and savory stew with the leftovers in my fridge last week.  My husband declared it 'covetable' and has been requesting it for lunch almost every day. :)

I had quite a few leftover Cajun chicken thighs (chicken thighs sprinkled with McCormick Cajun seasoning and roasted), and about half a batch of my Roasted Root Vegetables.  The vegetables are a major part of this stew, so I would recommend making a batch!  They are great to keep in the fridge anyway, because they heat up just as good as the first time...or better! :)

First, I boiled the chicken thighs...bones, skin and all in water to make a stock.  Then I strained the chicken out, cooled, and picked the meat off the bones.  You can also use already made chicken stock or broth if you like.  Here is the recipe as I made it.

Savory Chicken Stew with Biscuits

4 cups chicken stock (or broth)
4 cups chicken, chunked
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/8 teaspoon tarragon leaves
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
2 bay leaves

3/4 cups flour
1 cup water

Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
thyme leaves for garnish

In a large stockpot, bring the chicken stock, chicken, and vegetables to a boil.  Turn heat down to medium-low and add salt and seasonings.  Simmer for about 1/2 hour.  Remove bay leaves.  Mix together flour and water, and add to the stew.  Continue to simmer, stirring often until thickened.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°.  In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the biscuits.  Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add the buttermilk all at once and stir to moisten. 

Pour the stew into oven safe containers. (You can use one large one or several smaller ones.  I use small ones to pack for my husbands lunches)  Spoon the biscuit dough onto the top of the stew.  Make sure the stew is still very hot at this point, or the bottom of the biscuit wont be cooked through.  Sprinkle with thyme leaves.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Remove from the oven and serve hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment