Saturday, October 23, 2010

Not Your Typical Tuna Salad


This morning I woke up and thought it would be a lovely day for a picnic!  I opened the door and checked the temperature.  About 70 degrees, slightly overcast...perfect!  And then in the middle of preparations, it started to rain.  My picnic turned into a front porch picnic, but that was fun too!

I've been making quite a bit of rich food lately.  Chance didn't help that much, since yesterday he was looking at a magazine and found a picture of a pumpkin pie and wanted me to make it.  We had everything on hand, so he helped me make the pie.  There was quite a bit of extra filling, so I made up a pumpkin bar recipe that turned out to be a winner!  I'll post that recipe next week.  But because of all the rich food we've been eating lately, I wanted something light and healthy.  This tuna salad fit the bill!


Shoestring Potato Tuna Salad

1 large can tuna (or two small cans)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup carrots, grated
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
4 boiled eggs, grated or finely diced
shoestring potatoes

Mix first 6 ingredients together at least 1/2 hour before serving.  Refrigerate.  Right before serving, stir in shoestring potatoes.  Or, serve them on the side and let each person add as much as they wish.  If you don't plan to eat the entire salad, reserve some without potatoes, as the potatoes get soggy.

It's a great way to get your family to eat their vegetables!  The carrots add sweetness, and you can hardly taste the tuna.  I've also added boneless, skinless sardines to give it even more of a nutritional kick.  Even a three year old will eat it...


Give it a try! :)

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I've been wondering how to use up some of my cans of tuna! And what great pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete